Dating websites pittsburgh pa lovedating g
An untitled version appeared in the London Magazine of January 1759. It also appeared in Poor Roger, 1760, and in Father Abraham's Almanac, 1761. The plans for Fort Bedford and Fort Pitt are illustrated in Schwartz (1994), Fort Ligonier was also included. After Rocque's death, his wife Mary Ann published the work in 1765 in London. This print of Pittsburgh from the south side heights was published in Picturesque America, or, The Land we live in : a delineation by pen and pencil of the mountains, rivers, lakes, forests, water-falls, shores, can~ons, valleys, cities, and other picturesque features of our country, with illustrations on steel and wood by eminent American artists; edited by William Cullen Bryant. This work is on line at A Set of Plans and Forts in America, 1765 . It was abandoned by the British in 1772, taken over by Virginians in 1774 and renamed Fort Dunmore. The map itself was probably prepared earlier by "Cap. It shows the river system around Pittsburgh located at upper right. This map can be compared with the 1860 one below, also based on Mc Gowin's map. Thurston published Directory of Pittsburgh & vicinity for 1857-1858, which could be the source or a companion piece of this map. It was again abandoned when the new Fort Fayette was constructed in 1791-92. "Crawfd" is undoubtedly Colonel William Crawford for whom Crawford County in Pennsylvania is named. This little woodcut from a school geography book is one of the earliest views of Pittsburgh as a developing industrial center with burgeoning river traffic. Although dated 1855, this map appeared in an 1859 edition of Colton's General Atlas, the same map appeared in several editions. It is printed on poor paper and this copy has some condition problems; apparently originally folded for a book or report.
It was destroyed the same year by the French who built Fort Duquesne. An attractive map with a fancy grapevine border and small illustrations of buildings along the right edge; also an anonymous map with no printer or source identified.
The small fort 3) on the map probably refers to Fort Prince George, constructed by a small force of Virginians under command of Captain William Trent in 1754, while 2) refers to the French Fort Duquesne. PLAN OF FORT PITT and parts adjacent with both rivers.
Another possibility is that the small fort is Mercer's Fort, constructed to house troops between the destruction of Fort Duquesne and the building of Fort Pitt. This is a manuscript map of the fort done by Bernard Ratzer circa 1761.
The name honors William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, and head of government at the time. This print is page 377 and from an unknown source, though it may come from Pictorial History of the U. Only a small section at the start of the map is shown here. 1915 PITTSBURGH, a Rand Mc Nally Vest Pocket Map showing streets, transportation lines, parks, public buildings, etc. WAGNER'S COMPLETE INDEXED MAP OF PITTSBURGH AND ADJOINING BOROS, The A. Wagner Co., Publishers, PO Box 1055 Pittsburgh, Main Plant Cincinnati. LIPPINCOTT AND NCNEIL'S MAP OF GREATER PITTSBURGH, Lippincott and Mc Neil, Engrs, 237 4th Avenue, Pittsburgh. This is a later version of a map first put out around 1912. This brochure, issued by the Chamber of Commerce, has 11 pages of text plus a 5 x 7 inch map and several photos. The date of 1926 appears in the text in reference to the Carnegie International Art Exhibit; but it may have been issued a year or two later. CRAM'S OFFICIAL INDEXED STREET MAP OF PITTSBURGH, MCKEESPORT, WILKINSBURG, AMBRIDGE, DUQUESNE AND 68 OTHER MUNICIPALITIES IN THE PITTSBURGH AREA. Besides the main map , not all of which is shown, it has this image of downtown.
This selection of maps and views presents a history of the city and region from that moment to near the present; some can be seen on other pages of this website. This is Plate II from Everts' A History of Allegheny County 1876. The map itself is titled RAND MCNALLY NEW COMMERCIAL ATLAS MAP OF PITTSBURGH, and not quite all of it is shown in this view. This is an undated map but it has a Gulf ad on the back that appeared from around 1919 to 1923, so that dating is used here. Folds into a 7 x 4 inch yellow paper cover to which it is attached. Needless to say, city of power is no longer used as a catch phrase, at least in reference to industry. Although Gulf published city maps from its earliest days (see 1918 above), the other oil companies were slower to put out such maps.
In 1896 the state government published Report of the Commission to Locate the Sites of the Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania, a large and detailed two volume work with a description on line at .